Sept. 2009-Sept. 2013
US$1,049,000; Prof. Nimir portion – US$775,000
Development of Novel Fischer-Tropsch Reactor Technology for Operation in
This research project is focused on advancing the design of Gas-to-Liquid processes, specifically those related to the Fischer Tropsch synthesis (FTS) reactors, the heart of the Gas-to-Liquid (GTL) technology. The studies completed in this project cover multi-scale investigations that are aimed at better understanding the mechanism of the reaction, investigating the potentials of the unique characteristics of the supercritical fluids to enhance both the activity and the selectivity of the reaction, and finally to design a novel reactor technology of potentials to provide selective control of the hydrocarbon product distribution towards ultra-clean fuels and value-added chemicals.
Texas A&M Qatar takes the lead in forming a global consortium to advance FTS processes and reactor design whereby this report presents a few examples of these micro-scale and
The data generated from these studies have been used to design a novel FTS reactor technology. A bench scale of this unit has been commissioned at Texas A&M Qatar building and proved to produce typical hydrocarbon products under different operating conditions. This unit will be used to explore the potential of upgrading this technology to a pilot scale and later to a commercial scale.
PEER REVIEWED Journal Publications
1. Hamad, N.; El-Halwagi, M.; Elbashir N. O.; Mannan S. “Safety Assessment of Potential Supercritical Solvents for Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis” Volume 26, Issue 3, May 2013, Pages 528-533, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2012.07.004 (Impact Factor: 1.932)
2. Elmalik E., Tora, E., El-Halwagi M. M., Elbashir N. O. “Solvent Selection for Commercial Supercritical Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis Process” Volume 92, Issue 8, August 2011, Pages 1525-1530, Fuel Processing Technology, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuproc.2011.03.014 (Impact Factor: 4.051)
3. Mogalicherla A., Elbashir N. O. (2011) “Development of a Kinetic Model for Supercritical Fluids Fischer Tropsch Synthesis” Volume 25, Issue 3, March 2011, Pages 878-889, Energy & Fuels, DOI: 10.1021/ef101341m, (Impact Factor: 3.091)
4. Bao B., El-Halwagi M. M., Elbashir, N. O. (2010) “Simulation, Integration, and Economic Analysis of Gas-to-Liquid Processes” Volume 91, Issue 7, July 2010, Pages 703-713 Fuel Processing Technology, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuproc.2010.02.001, (Impact Factor: 4.051)
5. Bao B., El-Halwagi M. M., Elbashir N. O. (2010) “Techno-economic Analysis of Gas-to-Liquid Technology” in F. Benyahia and F. T. Eljack “Advances in Gas Processing Volume 2. Proceedings of the 2nd Annual Symposium on Gas Processing”. Elsevier B. V. ©, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. 2; 287-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1876-0147(10)02031-8,
Interim funding by Texas A&M Experiment Station to develop a QNRF proposal.
6. Elbashir N. O., Eljack F. T (2010) “A Method to Design an Advanced Gas-to-Liquid Technology Reactor for Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis”. in F. Benyahia and F. T. Eljack “Advances in Gas Processing Volume 2. Proceedings of the 2nd Annual Symposium on Gas Processing”. Elsevier B. V. ©, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. 2; 369-377. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1876-0147(10)02039-2,
7. Elbashir N. O., Bao B., El-Halwagi M. M., (2009) “An Approach to the Design of Advanced Fischer-Tropsch Reactor for Operation in Near-Critical and Supercritical Phase Media”. In H. Alfadala, G.V. Rex Reklaitis and M.M. El-Halwagi (Editors)
Interim funding by Texas A&M Experiment Station to develop a QNRF proposal.
8. Mogalicherla A., Elmalik E; Elbashir N. O. (2012) “Enhancement in the Intraparticle Diffusion in the Supercritical Phase Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis” Volume 62, December 2012, Pages 59-68 Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cep.2012.09.008 (Impact Factor: 2.579)
9. Elbashir N. O., Bukur D. B., Durham E., Roberts C. B. (2010) “Advancement in Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis via Utilization of Supercritical Fluids as Reaction Media” Volume 56, Issue 4, Pages 997-1015 AIChE Journal. DOI: 10.1002/aic.12032 (Impact Factor: 2.892)
Interim funding by Texas A&M University to develop a QNRF proposal.
10. Elbashir N. O. (2010) “Opportunities for Selective Control of Fischer-Tropsch Hydrocarbon product Distribution” in F. Benyahia and F. T. Eljack “Advances in Gas Processing Volume 2. Proceedings of the 2nd Annual Symposium on Gas Processing”. Elsevier B. V. ©, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. 2; 197-207 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1876-0147(10)02022-7
11. Noureldin M.;
12. Hussain R., Blank J. H., Todic B., Elbashir, N.O. and Bukur D. B. “Development of Gas-to-Liquid Technologies from Micro- to Macro-scale” in Weichold M. Hall K.
Conference Proceedings & Presentations
1. Elbashir N. O., Bani Nassr L., Elmalik
2. Buping Bao, Elfatih Elmalik, Nimir Elbashir, Mahmoud El-Halwagi, Fadwa Eljack (2012) P-0605 “Elevated Pressure Supercritical Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis: Product Separation and Energy Integration.” The proceedings of the 2012 International Symposium
3. Fadwa Eljack, Elfatih Elmalik, Nimir Elbashir, Mahmoud ElHalwagi “Energy Optimization of a Novel FT-SCF Technology.” The proceedings of the 2012 International Symposium
4. Elmalik E. E., Elbashir N. O. (2012) “Challenges Facing the Design of Novel Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis Reactors and the Approach for Advancement” Preprint Paper – American Chemical Society, Division of Petroleum Chemistry, 57 (1); 51-54. Book ISBN: 9781618397560,
5. Nimir Elbashir, Aswani Mogalicherla, and Elfatih Elmalik. (2011) “Design of Novel Gas-to-Liquid Reactor Technology Utilizing Fundamental and Applied Research Approaches.” Qatar Foundation Annual Research Forum Proceedings: Vol. EGO12. DOI: 10.5339/qfarf.2011.ego12.
6. Mogalicherla A. K., Elbashir N. O. (2011) “Modeling Diffusional Limitations In Fischer Tropsch Synthesis Catalyst at near Critical and Supercritical Solvent Conditions” American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) 2011 Spring Meeting Catalysis & Reaction Engineering Division; 6 pages.
7. Hamad N. A., El-Halwagi M. M., Elbashir N. O., Mannan S. M. “Safety and Techno-Economic Analysis of Solvent Selection for Supercritical Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis Reactors” Proceedings of Mary K. O’Connor Process Safety Center International Symposium 2011.
8. Elmalik E., Tora E., El-Halwagi M. M., Elbashir N.O. (2011) “A Method for Solvent Selection for Supercritical Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis Process” Preprint Paper – American Chemical Society, Division of Fuel Chemistry, 56(1); pp. 31-34.
9. Elfatih Elmalik, Mogalicherla, A.K, Natalie Hamad, Sally Nicola, Elbashir N. O. (2010). Simulating Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis Phase Behavior in non-conventional reaction media. Preprint Paper American Chemical Society, Division of Fuel Chemistry, 55 (2); pp. 173-175.
10. Aswani K Mogalicherla, Elfatih Elmalik and Elbashir N. O. (2010) A Fugacity Based Kinetic Model for Supercritical Fischer –Tropsch Synthesis Over Cobalt-Based Catalytic Systems. Proceedings of 2010th Annual Meeting of AIChE. Catalysis and Reaction Engineering Division; pp. 1-8.
11. Elbashir N.O. (2009) Advancement in the Design of Fischer-Tropsch Reactor Technology and the Potentials for Non-Conventional Reaction Media. Preprint Paper American Chemical Society, Division of Fuel Chemistry, 54(2); pp. 946-949.
12. Elbashir N.O., Roberts C. B. (2009) Role of Catalyst Type in Controlling the Hydrocarbon Product Distribution in
13. Elbashir N. O., Bukur D. B., Roberts C. B. (2009) “Non-Ideality in Reaction Kinetics of Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis for Near-Critical and Supercritical Solvent Media”. Preprint 9th International Symposium on Supercritical Fluids in Arcachon, France 18-20 May; pp. 1-6.
14. Nimir Elbashir, Eman Tora, Elfatih Elmalik, Mahmoud El Halwagi. (2010) Potentials for commercialization of novel Fischer-Tropsch reactor technology. Qatar Foundation Annual Research Forum Proceedings: Vol. , EEP5. DOI: 10.5339/qfarf.2010.eep5.
15. Dragomir Bukur
16. Nimir Elbashir. (2013) Simulation Of The Fischer-Tropsch Fixed Bed Reactor For The Design Of Novel
Elbashir, N. O. and El-Halwagi, M. E. E. “Novel Highly-Integrated Fischer Trsopch Synthesis Reactor of Enhanced in situ Characteristics” Provisional Patent by Qatar Foundation. Application No. 62/044,945 (September 2014). Currently applied for a US Department of Energy fund for scaling up this technology to a pilot scale plant.
- Aswani Mogalicherla Nov 2009 – Jan 2012
(Currently ‘Research Chemical Engineer’ at Johnson Matthey)
- Suresh Reddy Jul 2009 – Oct 2010
(Currently Researcher at The Petroleum Institute, Dubai)
- Jan Blank Feb 2012 – April 2014
(Currently Project Leader Oxidation at Synvina, The Netherlands)
- Elfatih Elmalik (joined in Qatar-Shell after left the group from 2013-2017 and sadly passed away in 2016 in a car accident)
- Rehan Hussain April 2012 – Sep. 2014 (Currently Lecturer at Chulalongkorn University, Faculty of Engineering, Thailand)
- Mohamed Noureldin (Ph.D.): “A Systematic Approach for the Design of Integrated Energy and Chemicals Production”, graduated Fall 2014 (co-chaired with Professor Mahmoud El-Halwagi at Texas A&M University, College Station, USA) (currently with Dow Chemicals in Houston USA).
- Bao Buping, (MSc) from Texas A&M University, College Station campus. Thesis entitled “Simulation, Integration, and Economic Analysis of Gas-to-Liquid Processes”. graduated Fall 2008 (Co-chaired with Professor Mahmoud El-Halwagi). (currently working in China).
- Natalie Hamad (MSc in Safety): from Texas A&M University, College Station campus. “Selection of Appropriate Solvents for Fischer Tropsch Synthesis Utilizing Safety Matrix” graduated spring 2012 (currently working at TOTAL Petrochemical).
LaialBani Nassr: “Modeling of the in situ behavior of the fixed bed Fischer Tropsch reactor in gas-phase and supercritical” graduated Fall 2013 from Texas A&M University at Qatar (currently pursuing her Ph. D. from Hamad Bin Khalifa University).
- Shaik Afzal: “Modeling Fischer-Tropsch Product Distribution of a
Cobalt- basedCatalyst in Different Reaction Media” graduated Fall 2014 from Texas A&M University at Qatar (currently Ph. D. student at Texas A&M University at Qatar)
Undergraduate Students Researchers
- Maria Orillano: Currently Production Engineer at Total E&P Qatar.
- Abul hasanat Jahanur
Rahman :Currently Research Assistant at Texas A&M University at Qatar.
- Sally Nicola: Currently working at Flour, USA.
- Maha Kafood: Currently working at Maersk Oil, Qatar.
- Mariam Al-Meer: Currently working at Shell-Qatar.
Manjahori: Currently working at Shell-Qatar.
Institutions and PIs
Texas A&M University:
Dr. Mahmoud El-Halwagi
Dr. Juergen Hahn (Currently at RPI Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI), New York)
Qatar University: Dr. Fadwa Eljack (Associate Professor),
Auburn University: Dr. Christopher Roberts (Dean of Engineering)
Industry Advisory Board:
Shell: Willem Scholten
OryxGTL (Sasol): Dr. Ernest DeToit (former)
ExxonMobil: Dr. James Rigby (currently Vice President)